How accurate are food allergy tests?
For about a year or so now, I've been getting a burning in my mouth after eating nuts. It started with just raw nuts, and only certain brands seemed to cause it. Then, more recently, even roasted peanuts started to make my mouth burn. At Christmas, I ate a raw, just cracked, walnut. I immediately got a burning feeling, then I had some difficulty swallowing, and after just a short while, I was having minor difficulty breathing. I went to my doctor last week and he sent me for blood work, including a food allergy test. I just got the results. I am not allergic to nuts. I'm apparently allergic to shrimp. I like shrimp. I eat shrimp and don't notice any problems with it. So, how accurate can the test be? Why do I get a reaction to nuts, and not to shrimp? Should I stop eating shrimp now? I'm baffled. I expected either a nut allergy or no allergy and just something weird going on that coincides with eating nuts. This is so not what I expected.